Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Felt Flowers

So I think I have completed my St Patrick's Day decor. I don't do much, because I like things simple, So this is my felt flower balls with my subway art. I saw the idea for this here on craftily-ever-after. I loved how she made it look and decided to make my own for St Patrick's day.

I did what she did and cut circles out of felt. I folded the felt in half so I cut out two at a time. I cut a total of 64 circles. This was because I needed about 30 to cover a 2 inch styrofoam ball.The circles are about 3 inches across.

I wanted my flowers to look like the carnations that are white and green for St Patrick's day like this one here from google images.


So I used white felt and painted green acrylic paint on it with a sponge brush. I wanted it to be darker in some spots like the flower so I added more paint to some spots and less to others. I wish I used a different green, but I already had this one so I used it.
After you paint one side of the circle wait for it to dry and then paint the other side. This was the part that took the longest painting all 64 circles and letting them dry.
Then you fold a circle in half. Then in half again so it makes a little triangle. 

Then you stick a pin into the point and stab it into your ball. 

Keep doing this until the entire ball is filled.
See up close you can see my paint skills are lacking, or my lack of patience in taking the time to do a good job painting, but from not so close you can't tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment