Thursday, February 24, 2011

Adjustable Pants

My 4 year old is very skinny and she hates when I make her wear pants. I asked her why and she told me because they fall off. So I found some with an adjustable waste. They have a button and elastic so you can make the waste smaller or larger so you get a better fit.
She loved these when she put them on, for about 30 min. Then she started complaining that they hurt her sides. So I looked and her sides had red marks from where the elastic rubbed. So I loosed the pants thinking maybe we had them too tight. Well that didn't work. So I came up with another idea. Why not cover the elastic with something soft.
I used some left over fleece I had. I measured how wide the waste band was and then cut fleece that was that width and long enough to cover the elastic that stuck out. mine was about 1 in X 4 in

Then I hand stitched the fleece over the elastic.Click Here for a great tutorial on hand stitching. Make sure you only stitch one layer of the pants so you can't see the stitches on the outside. Leave an opening on the bottom and one side, or you could leave one on the top. That way if she gains some weight before she gets to tall I can adjust them. Or I will be able to use them with my next daughter who is bigger.
Problem solved. She loves the pants and told me they are "supper soft now". It is like wearing a "soft kitty, not pants"

No comments:

Post a Comment