Friday, February 18, 2011

St Patrick's Day Table runner

The other day my four year old said to me "Mom I wish it was the day the leprechauns steal gold." So I told her we there was actually another holiday before St Patrick's Day called Presidents Day. Well she didn't think that one sounded very fun, so I told her we could decorate for St Patrick's Day as soon as February was over, but that we could start making some decorations now. That made her happy, so I have started on more St Patrick's Day decorations. I made a table runner.
To start I used three different fabrics that I liked. I cut the fabric into 5 inch squares. I cut 9 squares from each fabric for a total of 18 squares.
I then arranged the squares into a pattern I liked. I tried both a rectangle and a square to see what I liked better. The square one finished is about 23 inches

The rectangle one is about 40 inches long and 14 inches wide. To make the triangle pieces I just cut the square piece in half diagonally and then for the smaller triangle on the very ends I cut each diagonal in half again.
After you have the pieces arranged how you like then pick up one row and sew it together. I used a 1/4 in seam. Then sew all your rows together.

Once all the pieces are sewn together lay the from part on a larger piece of fabric and trace around it. This will give you the back. If you want you can place a thin layer of batting in the middle. Then you "Stitch in the ditch" which means you sew on the top of your fabric where the seams are. You sew the front batting and back pieces together on the right side of the fabric going along all your squares. 
finish your table runner by using biased tape around the edge to give it a nice finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment